Thursday

Life Liberty and The Pursuit of a Boat...



So, I was watching Quantum of Solace the other day and there was a boat chase in a third world country. Bond hops this boat that looks like a real piece of crap and does his Bond-esk thing. Then I realized if I lived in a third world island nation I would have a boat, because everyone has a fucking boat. I'm an American and I can't afford a boat… To me there’s something wrong with that picture any poor dude in any country can afford a boat but not in America. It took me seven years of work to afford a cheap motorcycle, and god forbid if I needed a new vehicle. Also by the world new I mean slightly pre-owned many times by many previous owners and preferable not dented all to shit.

I keep picturing myself living in a smallish shack in the little known Greek island Icaria. I would eat pasta which is cheap even in America; maybe mix it with a little fresh sea food that I would catch. I would be a picture of health because I wouldn't be sitting here feeling my ass grow in my work chair all day. My dog would keep me company along with the occasional Greek girl who wondered by. I wouldn't need a car, I could wonder place to place on foot or by bicycle. I could make a small income by selling Frisbees or "Traditional Greek Throwing Disk" to tourist, or maybe take a nice portrait of visitors for a small fee. There would be no need to be up early other than the occasional sunrise, because most shops on this island don't open until after noon and don't close until the early morning hours. I would be tan because that's what happens when I say outside. I would also own a damn boat...

At this moment I'm about 90% sure the old school American dream is dead to me. When I hear people saying you better work so you can retire, it makes me physically sick. What I hear is "you better work so you can afford to smile a few years before you die." I feel like we've been fed the biggest crock of shit for the longest time. Material things don't bring you happiness it's what you do with the time you have that bring your happiness. Would I like a boat? Sure I would love a boat but is it going to determine if I smile today, I'm just saying I could smile on water if I had a boat. It just doesn't make sense to me to work your whole life for peanuts just so you can have a few pleasurable years at the end when you’re in bad health from spending your life sitting in a chair. Personally I'd rather go do things now and spend the later years in chair thinking about the good times I had in youth.

A good life and happiness is free, that’s one thing they've not been able to put a price on yet, although they'll lie and say that there is a price on it. If more people would fight for their happiness then maybe the world wouldn't be such a damn depressing place. Every day I read a thousand status updates about bullshit on Facebook "no one will talk to me" "my legs hurt" "I just had a shitty meal" "I'm so lonely" "I'm so bored", Change it. It's that simple if you don't enjoy it change it. Then there's the "I can't" and to that I say sure you can. America use to be an English colony for god sake and we got tired of King George’s shit and we changed it. You eat shitty food? Cut your losses and eat better next time. You’re lonely? Find a crew, no matter how shitty you think you are there are always someone looking for a friend.

If you spent more time enjoying life then maybe you would feel happier and live a longer and more pleasurable existence. It also wouldn't hurt to live and let die, don't go around dwelling on some bullshit that's going to be forgotten in a few hours anyway drop it for your happiness. I've personally been saying "enjoy life lady/dude" depending who I’m talking to every time I walk away, and when you first say it to someone they kind of laugh and I’m sure they think well that's kind of weird, but they get use to it. Maybe it wouldn't hurt you folks to say something like that every now and then.

Well… Enjoy life my people…

No comments:

Post a Comment